So, I have to tell you that red cabbage with apples is one of my all-time most favorite things. From the stove top to the table, it is a treat to the senses. It’s like candy only better because it contains both a fruit and a vegetable so we can pretend that it is actually good for us. And, it is ridiculously easy to make. Did I say ridiculously? Oh, good. Because that’s exactly right.
- 1/2 head of rinsed red cabbage, cut into thin strips
- 4-5 Tablespoons salted butter
- two sweet apples (I like Fuji) peeled, cored and chopped
- Splash of apple cider vinegar, red wine vinegar, or lemon juice
- 2 cups chicken stock, apple cider, apple juice or red wine
- 3 Tablespoons seedless raspberry jam, currant jelly, or apricot preserves
- ground cloves
Melt butter in a thick-bottomed kettle and add cabbage. Toss cabbage in butter and let cook until shiny and the color brightens. Add apple slices.
Pour chicken stock (or whatever you decide to use) and vinegar/lemon juice over the apples and cabbage. Sprinkle with some ground cloves. Stir and cook until the apples and cabbages are nice and soft. Add cloves and cook a little longer. When the cabbage is done, add the jam and a little more ground clove. Inhale. Sneak a bite or two. Bask in the wonderful warm scent of this gorgeous dish. Serve and gorge.