This is a great way to use up scrap fabric and makes for a lovely personalized gift.
- Fabric Scraps – 7″ circles for wide mouth jars, 6″ circles for regular mouth jars (I used bowls and traced them)
- 1/4″ wide elastic scraps 6-8″ long (optional)
- Ribbon and narrow lace or edging trim.
- Trace the circles on to the fabric and cut the circles.
- Zigzag the edge of the circle and add narrow lace or trim to the edges.
Either tie the jar cover onto the jar with ribbon, rubber band or use screw lid on over it OR sew an elastic band on following these directions:
- Fold the elastic in quarters and mark the fold lines.
- Fold the fabric circle in quarters and mark the fold lines.
- Match the elastic and fabric fold lines, attaching the elastic 2″ in from the original edge of the fabric. Use a zigzag stitch to attach the elastic, gently stretching the elastic as you sew it.
- Now you have a showercap looking thing for your canning jars. Too easy.